Teletype & Linux TL330 System     2012 - 2014    Pictures


Restoration TTY 1

Okay, we're digging right in.  The cover of the machine has been removed, and it looks like I'm adjusting the tension on the carriage belt.

Most of the work is detail cleaning, while keeping a watchful eye out for anything that you see out of place, wrong, in need of repair, or replacement.

This is the first big problem, the main drive belt is about to break in many places.  Having never replaced one of these belts, I sent out on the web for help, and Wayne sent me great instructions on how to do it.  But, where do you get a belt? . . .

From a spare parts machine.  This extra Teletype I bought from a gentleman in California for $50, via Craigslist, sight unseen.  Roger, a California friend, was kind enough to go pay for it, pick it up, and store it in his house, until I could get to California to pick it up.  Thank you Roger.  I then sold the chad box (clear box that captures all the holes punch out of the paper tape) on ebay for $50.  So my spare parts machine, was essentially free.  It turns out it was an excellent machine inside.  It looked like it was left out in the rain for years, but most of the parts were like new inside, including the main drive belt.

Next had to repair a broken keyboard cover end post.  Then I noticed the keyboard cover on the spare parts machine was in better shape, so I just replaced it.

This is the right side of the mechanical keyboard.  The keyboard alone has 100 oiling points.  These plastic guides and wire rods, have to be kept free of oil.

Next a ribbon was made new again.  Thanks John Castorina for the new original Teletype ribbons, which I was able to re-ink

Next I restored the feet.  Turns out someone spray painted the feet silver.  After a little care, I had them looking new again with no spray paint.

Don't try tipping your machine over, without securing everything.  The main typing unit is not screwed in, but sits on rubber posts.  If you tip it over, the typing unit will fall onto the floor.  No, I did not do this.

Note the little clear plastic bag holding parts, next to the red tool box.  That's a restoration trick.  You place small parts in these bags, so the parts are ready when you need them.  You also log each step on a legal pad, and put the number of the step on the bag.  Simple.

A note about the work area.  Keeping the machine and parts on wheels, is a tremendous time saver, as it makes it very easy to get at all areas.  The moving carts are especially good, as you can put your feet on the pads to keep it from moving.

In the process of replacing the main drive belt, I had to move the motor out of the way.  You can see all the belt crud on the belt drive gear, and it had a missing tooth (arrow).  Fortunately the parts machine had a much better gear so I could replace that too.

Ah, the main drive belt and the belt drive gear is looking much better now.  It looks like I have not greased the belt drive gears yet.

Next I cleaned all the ink and ribbon gunk off the print head.  Here it is ready to be re-installed.

Sorry, I could not help but take a picture of the code bars (on the bottom) and all the mechanics inside.

The kids would visit, and were fascinated with the brass bell.

Fortunately I had a good set of manuals to follow and refer to.  There are over 50 pages of lubrication instructions, with over 500 oiling / grease points.  This is 1/2 of one page, identifying the oiling points for the spacing mechanism.

Now that it is clean, I'm starting to oil everything, the main shaft here.

This was one problem I did not fully solve.  When the gap here was missing, there was a whining sound.  This only happens with the 7 W O ; and / keys.  Did not solve this, but it happens 80% less now, after the oiling and use.  I sent this photo of the selector clutch to other Teletype enthusiasts, but there was no consensus on what was causing this whine.

Machine is together electrically and mechanically, and it is typing, punching and reading in local mode once again.  Also worked great during line tests through current loop to serial converter and then to a Windows 98 machine running HyperTerminal, and transmitting text files.

All done, ready to use.  Boy, it all looks so easy, from the pictures.

 
Continue to . . .     Restoration of TTY 2

 

 
 
Copyright (c) 2014-2015 John Whitney   -   801 815 9265   -   john at johnwhitney dot com   -   Utah, USA